A blue sapphire is a naturally occurring gem stone. It is composed of corundum and has tinges of slight amount of cobalt and other metals which lead to its beautiful blue colour. It is also called as “neelam”. It has considerable sparkle and might display different colours from different angles. It is generally found in igneous rocks where there are alluvial deposits. According to vedic astrology, this gem stone represents the planet Saturn (Shani). The word Sapphire means “blue stone”. These sapphires also exist in violet and purple shades. The natural sapphire is generally found in Kashmir but they are very rare now-a-days. Violet and purple shaded sapphires can be found in SriLanka. It ensures confidence and enhances the positive energies of Saturn.
Who can wear Blue Sapphire / Neelam Stone?
According to vedic astrology, gem stones are recommended according to the placements of planets in horoscope. Saturn controls the human nervous system and also denotes patience, discipline and public fame. It is the slowest moving planets and is also known for brining obstacles. Negative Saturn causes and makes persons indifferent, wicked and deceitful. To overcome such malefic effects of Saturn, blue sapphire is used.
As per astrology, sadhe sati (Seven and half years) and dhayyia (Two and half years) are the results of Saturn placements in some houses. Blue sapphire is the best remedy to overcome the bad results of these phases. But before wearing it, one should definitely consult a good astrologist.
Blue Sapphire / Neelam Stone Benefits:
Wearing a blue sapphire gives you many benefits. It gives you wealth, health, name, fame and prosperity. It is strongest gem among all the nine jyothis gem stones. It has the power to protect the wearer from evil spirits, enemies, jealousy etc. It can save you from chronic diseases like bone and knee problems. It also helps in improving your meditation and helps in self realisation. It has the power to balance the power of sahasrara chakra also known as crown chakra, where the kundalini unites with the cosmic energy. It also unlocks the ajna chakra of the wearer and protects their pituitary glands.
How to wear Blue Sapphire / Neelam Stone ?
A transparent blue sapphire is considered as the best for excellent results. These transparent stones are mostly found in Ceylon. The procedure to wear this blue sapphire is:
1. Before deciding to wear the gem stone, it is must to consult an astrologer and take suggestion whether the stone suits you or not.
2. Buy a transparent blue sapphire from a trusted gem store.
3. Before wearing the gem it should be activated and purified. For this process, on Saturday morning (between 5AM – 7AM) of shukla paksha (period between full moon and no moon), dip the gem stone in milk or honey or holy water for 20 to 30 minutes. Then take it out and place it on a cloth and light the dhoop sticks and chant shani mantra “Om sham shaneeswaraya namah”.
4. After that, wear the ring on the right hand middle finger.
5. Make sure that the weight of the stone is about 3 to 6 carat.
6. To wear this gem stone, one can choose gold or silver. If one can’t afford they can also use panch daathu (five metals combined) also.
Which is best suitable?
Blue sapphire is the gem which belongs to Kurudan family which is available in different colour shades like pink, blue, sky blue and brinjal colours. The deep light coloured transparent gem stone which is originated from Ceylon are the best among all. The siblings of blue sapphire gem stone can also be seen in Thailand and Australia. The colour and the transparency of the stone is chosen based on the suggestion of the astrologer and your horoscope. But the best to use is the transparent blue sapphire which is considered as highly powerful and pure.
Blue Sapphire / Neelam Stone Price:
The pure transparent blue sapphire is rarely available and is also expensive to buy. The astrological sapphires are available from INR 500 to INR 100000. The blue sapphire from Burma ranges from INR 500 to INR 10000 per Carat where as those from Ceylon ranges from INR 5000 to INR 100000. The price depends on its transparency and colour.
Which gem stone to buy?
Generally people get confused about which gem stone to buy. To get a clear idea about what type of gem stone you should buy, consult your astrologer first. The gem stone clarity, weight, size and colour are based upon your horoscope and position of Saturn in the planet houses. Mostly, Blue sapphire which weighs between 3 and 6 carat and is transparent and light coloured is chosen for the best results.
Where to buy Blue Sapphire / Neelam Stone ?
Whenever you plan to purchase a gem stone always make sure that the store you visit is certified one and do not sell any fake once. There are many fake gem stones available in the market which are made of glass and will not have any significance. To avoid such fake gem stones, always make sure that you always buy from the certified gem stores.
How to check quality of Blue Sapphire / Neelam Stone?
The quality of the sapphire can be checked based on its inclusions, colour, nature, and cut. The main things to consider are:
1. As the sapphires are the hardest stones after diamond, it is very hard to cut. Hence the original sapphires will have rough and sharp edges.
2. Sapphires do not have inclusions that are visible to naked eye. Hence always make sure to check for the existence of inclusions before you buy the gem stone.
3. Blue sapphires come in different shades varying from deep blue to black. All the shades appear to be similar but are totally different. Always prefer the gem stone that is in blue shade but not in black. The more transparent the stone is the most preferred it is.
4. Study the saturation and intensity of the sapphires. They are highly saturated.
5. Check whether the stone is heat-treated. Sometimes natural sapphires are heat-treated to change its shape according to their convenience.
Based on these factors, one can appropriately decide whether the gem stone is original or fake and also can estimate its quality. Even after this process, if you want to know the appropriate quality of the sapphire you bought, approach the gemmology lab nearby.